2018-2019 Competition Information
VIVO International Music Competition is open to instrumentalists of all nationalities under the age of 18. The competition takes place in various instrumental divisions including piano, strings, woodwinds, brass, duo groups and chamber ensembles.
The competition will take place on December 2, 2018 at Carroll Rehearsal Studios in New York City.
Participants must be of qualifying age as of December 2, 2018 for the upcoming competition in December 2018.
Group A: Ages 8 and Under
Group B: Ages 9-11
Group C: Ages 12-14
Group D: Ages 15-18
- Participants must perform one original composition from the Baroque, Classical, Romantic or Modern periods from memory. One movement of Sonatina, Sonata or Concerto will be considered as one piece.
- Arrangements, simplified or modified editions, popular music and/or non-classical music will not be accepted.
- Performance Time
- Group A and B: Each performance must not exceed 6 minutes.
- Group C and D: Each performance must not exceed 10 minutes
- Performances exceeding the specified time limit may be stopped at the judges’ discretion and will result in disqualification.
- No change in the submitted repertoire may be made once an application is submitted.
Repertoire Regulations for Each Instrumental Division
- Piano: The following pieces are not acceptable: Concertos for Piano and Orchestra, Bagatelle No. 25 in A minor, WoO 59 "Für Elise," the first movement of Sonata No. 14 in C-sharp minor Op. 27, no. 2, "Moonlight" by Beethoven, and Chopin Prelude Op. 28, no. 4.
- Chamber Ensemble: Any form of Ensemble is welcomed. Participants in Chamber Ensemble Division may use music during the competition. Due to the availability of piano in all concert halls, original or classical transcription for only one piano for multiple performers is accepted.
- All information contained in this document is correct at the time of publication. However, VIVO International Music Competition reserves the right to make any changes.